Now that the 2012 dust has settled, take a digital journey with me in the world of social media. Shall we?
Where there’s passion, there’s going to be stupid passion. - Kathleen Hessert, social media consultant, as quoted by The Wall Street Journal
Social media have reached rueful adolescence as it seems every other day we read about the next biggest #FAIL on Twitter. So it’s no surprise the following headline topped SmartBrief’s most-shared, most-read social media stories.
- Chik-Fil-A Struggles to Rein In Facebook Critics (Remember the backlash on this one? Even the Muppets got involved!)
Can you guess the other leading stories? Some may surprise you…
- 6 Reasons to Embrace Pinterest– And 5 Reasons to Run Away (This one remains a bookmark as I refer to it often when discussing with clients)
- The A to Z Guide to Social Media Marketing Buzzwords (I should send this one to mom…)
- Ugly Debate Tweet Leaves KitchenAid in a Spin (Who could forget this?! I was lucky enough to watch the madness unfold live. Tsk, tsk!)
- David Armano: Social media is dead; long live social business (Because I couldn’t give you this kind of list without something from him)
What do you expect will be your greatest social media challenge in 2013? SmartBrief readers say:
- Getting fans to respond to a call to action (31%)
- Measuring results (27%)
- Creating content (22%)
- Attracting fans (9%)
- Something else (6%)
- Providing customer service (5%)
For further reading about the never-ending Facebook changes, how to use Pinterest, and the best blogging tools, don’t miss Social Media Examiner’s top articles of 2012. While you’re at it, check out their list of the best social media blogs. Visit the five randomly selected blogs out of 750 (!) below. And mom still says social is a fad?
Stay strong my social media friends. And stay tuned for what you know is coming next!